Exemplory case of comparison essay in theory of literature: the difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a unique form of art that can help to know the present-day history also to understand how the key tendencies of social development in the past were formed.
Write on formation of styles at the start of essay
The looks of classicism, which developed in Western European culture at the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules in addition to axioms of plot construction, reflecting the idea of orderliness and excellence for the universe, nature and society.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged in the second half regarding the eighteenth century was designed to teach and educate on examples and images that can cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided by the proven fact that all evil may be overcome.
Inside our literature up to the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing each other and pursuing exactly the same goal: to help make society perfect, by affirming the rational principles of morality therefore the rules of human behavior. How to achieve this goal within the philosophy of classicism were thought as the assertion of this supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and had been predicated on an obvious division of creative designs and genres. The theorists of classicism paid unique attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies in which the basis associated with plot is without question important historical events, and actors – the gods and strongest for this globe, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These people were related to the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered pictures could only be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of “low” genres. Obligatory observance of the unity of the time, place, action and rules of constructing tragedy and drama with publicity, zygote, growth of action, culmination and resolution limited the likelihood of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the bond of cause and impact, clarity expression of the primary idea of the task. Sentimentalism allowed more freely essaywriters to make use of the way of artistic expression. Attention to household details, a description of psychological experiences, the image for the inner realm of man and his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel notes can be found in the literature. The introduction of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and caused it to be more democratic: the eye of both article writers and visitors ended up being the fate of a typical individual, clear, close, causing interest and compassion.
To conclude of essay give brief comparison of designs
Thus, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism is really as follows:
- The main topic of the image into the works of classicism are essential, meaningful activities that determine the fate of someone who is obliged to obey the founded order plus the determined span of events.
- In the heart of attention of authors – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, with the capacity of deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is just a literary trend when the foundation associated with the artistic method could be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism won’t have such a division, because its task would be to educate the senses, using many visual means for this purpose.
- The primary genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres characteristic of sentimentalism are a novel, letters, diaries, travel records.
- Classicalism argued educational a few ideas in line with the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner realm of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single individual, you are able to increase the whole society.